If you suffer from chronic pain or extreme soreness after workouts, you know how difficult it can be to function when your muscles are hurting. Whether you are walking or sitting, the pain can make it impossible to get comfortable and truly rest. Thankfully, there is an option to help soothe sore muscles and help your body relax. Massage guns have become an increasingly popular way to relieve tension and bring about faster recovery periods. Keep reading to learn more about why it is good to use a massage gun.
What is a massage gun?
Massage guns are massage machines that relatively resemble a gun in their design. These tools utilize percussive therapy to provide recovery after a workout or relief tension in sore muscles. The force exerted by a massage gun is able to manipulate the soft tissue in your body, much in the same way a traditional massage does. However, instead of spending an hour getting a massage, you can receive similar results with just a few minutes of using a massage gun.
What are the benefits of a massage gun?
Using a massage gun can do so much more than soothe sore muscles. These powerful machines have come a long way in recent years, and scientific studies have shown the impact massage therapy can have on your overall health and well being. While there are countless benefits to using a massage gun on a regular basis, the following are some of the most popular reasons that high-performance athletes and people with chronic pain use massage guns.
- Percussive therapy can provide faster recovery time for sore muscles. You will feel better faster after an intensive workout or regular sessions at the gym. Your workouts won’t leave you feeling as sore the next day, and you can reduce your pain over a shorter period of time.
- Reduce the build-up of lactic acid by using a massage gun after a workout. By preventing a build-up of lactic acid, you can greatly reduce muscle pain after strenuous activity and set yourself up for a better workout the next day.
- Relieve general tension in your body. Short sessions with a massage gun can reduce the tension held in your muscles and encourage your body to relax. Working through tight muscles and around knots can provide a better sense of calm.
- Improve your quality of sleep by releasing tension before bed. Utilizing a massage gun at night can help you prepare for bedtime better by easing your sore muscles and removing tension from your body.
- Lower your stress level by getting rid of muscle tension. Sore muscles, pain, and tightness can impact your mental health. Releasing tension and improving your sleep quality with a massage gun can help improve your overall stress level.
- Prepare for a workout by activating your muscles. Use a massage gun before working out to improve your range of motion and boost your performance. Pre-workout massages can also improve your recovery experience and reduce your risk of injury by increasing blood flow.
- Speed up your recovery time by using a massage gun during your workouts. Keep your muscles activated and increase your circulation before working out a muscle group.
Can a massage gun improve your pain?
Massage guns can provide pain relief for athletes, gym-goers, and people who suffer from chronic pain. For those who spend a lot of time at the gym or even people who work out more casually, a massage gun can provide instant relief for sore muscles after an intense session.
You can speed up the healing process for your muscles by increasing the supply of oxygen and growth hormones when using a massage gun. And, because massage guns can prevent the accumulation of lactic acid, you can help keep fatigued at bay and reduce your overall pain level.
Inflamed muscles can cause you a great deal of pain and make it difficult to carry out everyday tasks. Targeting your affected muscle groups with a massage gun can help release trigger points and calm your muscles. Massage guns are able to target very specific areas of the body, so you can focus on injuries or certain areas that are in pain.
You can also use a massage gun to help break up scar tissue or provide relief for soft tissue damage. If you deal with medical conditions that cause muscle tension, a massage gun can provide relief for soreness and pain.
How do you use a massage gun?
To get the most benefit from a massage gun, you need to customize your massage to meet your needs. The way you use your massage gun will depend on your goals and the areas of your body that are affected. It is generally recommended to stick with sessions of 15 minutes or less when using to massage gun.
If you want to help with recovery after a workout, you can move out lactic acid by using a massage gun right after your workout. Spend a couple of minutes on the muscles that you think will be sore following your workout. If you are worried about other muscles, treat them for about 30 seconds each. Simply move your massage gun over the sore muscles slowly without applying much pressure.
If you are interested in relieving general tension in your body, decreasing your stress level, or improving your quality of sleep, you can use a massage gun on all muscle groups. Focus on each muscle group for about two minutes, including your arms, legs, and glutes, before bed. You can spend a couple of minutes on muscles that are particularly tight or tense. For knots that are painful, work around the area instead of directly applying a massage gun to the knot. Repeat this process after 24 hours.
If you want to use a massage gun to prep your muscles before a workout, spend 30 seconds on the muscles that you plan to work during your sessions. During your workout, you can focus on these areas for 15 to 30 seconds to help your muscles stay activated while you are between reps.
Is there anything you should avoid with a massage gun?
While massage guns are great tools for relieving muscle tension and soothing sore muscles, they cannot be used for every ache and pain. Some conditions may be worsened by a massage gun and the intense nature of percussive therapy. It is always best to consult your doctor before using a massage gun as a regular part of your routine.
Avoid contact with your head or genitalia because these areas can be seriously damaged by a massage gun. While these tools are typically safe for pregnant women, it is still recommended that you check with your doctor. If you have the following conditions, avoid using a massage gun, or consult your physician for more information:
- Sprained muscles
- Muscle strains
- Inflammation-related injuries
- Varicose veins that are severe
- Autoimmune conditions
- Broken bones
What problems can a massage gun help with?
Everyone is unique, but many people have found significant relief for a variety of conditions when using a massage gun. As mentioned above, it is always best to check with your doctor before making percussive therapy part of your routine, but you may be able to enjoy great benefits from these powerful tools. Some common problems that massage guns can help with include:
- Workout-related muscle soreness
- Soft tissue damage
- Inflamed muscles
- Nerve damage
- Multiple sclerosis
Massage guns may be small in size, but they pack a big punch. These powerful tools can help relieve muscle pain and soreness, helping you feel your best every day. Whether you spend hours in the gym or not, you can benefit from less tension and improve blood circulation by using a massage gun. There are so many reasons why it is good to use a massage gun, and your body will thank you for your love and care.